Cabin 1 Rebuilding  
Cabin 1 Rebuilding
About Rapidan
Members Area
Rental Rates & Reservations
Renter's Guide
Rapidan FAQ
Winter Camping
Work Weekend
Things To Do
Road Report

Cabin 1 Fire
Cabin 1 Rebuilding
Flood of 1995
Hurricane Fran
Tree of 1999
Trees of 2006
Hurricane Isabel
Work Weekend

Outdoor Plan
Restaurants Near Rapidan
Bears at Camp
  This page shows photos of our progress rebuilding Cabin 1. The most recent photos are first, and the oldest are at the bottom.

There are two documents defining the project--the Rebuilding Finances Spreadsheet and Rebuilding Status plan.  These are available in the Membersí Area of the website, and are also available to non-members involved in the rebuilding effort by emailing Camp President Tom Jones using the link at the bottom of the page.

October 17-20, 2008: Fall Work Weekend

At the Fall Work Weekend, two truckloads of supplies were brought to camp, and our hard work finally completed the cabin for rental! Unfortunately, I was so busy coordinating the projects that I didn’t have a chance to take many photos until after all the work was done on Sunday!

Camp was gorgeous in the fall weather. Fall Work Weekends are usually a bit more cool than Spring Work Weekends, and have shorter days, but the trees are often spectacular. Photo by Laura Jones.

John and Peter carried two of the six new rolled mattresses into the cabin.

April, Aaron, and Alan cleared brush in preparation for laying mulch along the restored trail to the soon-to-be-built deck staircase.

Alan prepared the foundation for the new stairs.

Rachel Jones installed toilet paper holders in the bathrooms.

The downriver bedroom contains a new queen-size bed—the largest in camp—plus a set of twin bunks.

The upriver bedroom contains a full-size bed and a matching set of twin bunks.

June 6-7, 2008: Flooring, Showers, and Screens

The primary goal of the June 6-7 weekend was to install flooring, and when we finished work about two-thirds of the flooring was installed.  However, enough volunteers came that we also installed both showers and most of the window screens.  The weather presented two major logistical challenges.  First, a major storm took out power to the cabin on Wednesday, so Tony Allen and Dave Heiby had generators on standby until Allegheny Power restored electric service Friday afternoon. Second, a major heat wave brought temperatures into the upper 90s, so we opened every door and window, kept the fans running, and distributed two cases of ice-cold drinking water among the 12 volunteers.

The first step for installing flooring was to sweep and vacuum the sub-floor. Mark Robinson here wields the shop-vac.

The next step was opening the flooring cartons and sorting the different-length floorboards contained within. Martha Heil and Timmy Beuchel are at work here.

Here a flooring team of three volunteers worked in the middle room. Johanna Goderre (front) selected boards of appropriate lengths, Jim Hazzard (right) cut end boards to fit and tamped flooring into place, and JD Foster (left) fastened them using the compressor-driven nail gun. JD’s dog Satchel kept an eye on progress.

Satchel also helped in the upriver bedroom; here JD Foster and Robin Farrar lay some of the last floorboards in the room. You can see the black rolls laid out under the flooring.

Tom Jones laid out flooring in front of the fireplace in the center room.

The upriver bedroom shows flooring laid out in prepration for installation.

During the weekend, we also installed both showers. JD and Tom Jones installed the shower in the upriver bathroom, and here Dave Heiby and Jim Beuchel install the shower in the downriver bathroom, with assistance from Timmy Beuchel’.

Martha Heil and Dave Heiby installed the very first window screen in the new cabin.

George and Tristan Jones installed many more screens in the late afternoon.

Flooring in all three bedrooms is nearly complete. Here, in the downriver bedroom, the only remainnig installation is in the closet and northeast corner with the doorway to the kitchen remain.

April 25-27, 2008: Spring Work Weekendnd

At the Spring Work Weekend, we entered the finishing phase with lots of smaller projects. With electricity connected to the cabin, we no longer needed to run extension cords to Cabin 2.

Jim Hazzard and JD Foster purchased flooring and brought it to camp to season on-site in preparation for installation. Here it sits in boxes to the left of the fireplace.

The shower stall bases were installed and connected to the drains.

This photo in the down-river bedroom shows the water heater installed in the closet, and the ceiling fan light in the upper right corner. We installed commercial-grade outdoor-quality ceiling fans with heavy-duty wall switches.

Hinges were installed on the three large fold-down vent panels on the front of the cabin. Rain on Friday was followed by perfect weather Saturday and Sunday.

December 1, 2007: Carpentry Day

On December 1, we held another workday for doors and interior siding. These photos were taken by Jim Hazzard.

JD cuts siding in the down-river bedroom. The electrical panel is in the background. At this point, electrical power is still supplied by extension cables run from Cabin 2.

Chris Merrill works on the doorway to the exterior down-river bedroom.

JD's dog Satchel sports a sweater for the wintry conditions.

Dave Heiby and Robin Farrar bring siding inside the cabin.

October 26-28, 2007: Closing in the Cabin

The goal this weekend was to finish closing in the cabin--finish installing the windows, install the exterior doors, install the vents and flaps, and stain the remaining exterior surfaces of the cabin. We came very close--finishing everything but 3 windows (which Tony Allen installed a few days later).

After a very rainy Friday, the weather cleared overnight for a beautiful autumn weekend in the mountains.

JD Foster nails part of the fold-down vents installed to provide ventillation on hot days. Similar vents on Cabins 2 and 3 have been nailed closed for several years, because they were a security risk. The Cabin 1 vents are designed to be secured with a padlock, and if the design is successful, we will retrofit Cabin 2 and Cabin 3 to work the same way.

JD Foster, Walter Basnight, and Jim Hazzard install an exterior door.

Darrin and Laura Decoster stained the eave and raftertails.

Member Andy Puckett came to camp for the first time in 3 years to help with rebuilding!

Earl and Jennifer McCoy stained the cabin exterior.

Fred Farrar, Walter Basnight, and Tom Jones pause as the door installation progresses.

Camp President Tom Jones prepared green chile stew for Saturday’s lunch.

Volunteer meals provide a fun break during rebuilding.

Fred Farrar, Chris Merrill, and Walter Basnight install door trim.

Johanna Goderre paints the last window.

Roy Woodruff and Andy Puckett raked out leaves from under cabins 2 and 3.

October 12-14, 2007: Fall Work Weekend

Thirty-eight volunteers came to the Fall Work Weekend, making it one of the biggest Work Weekends in camp history. Most of the work was on Cabin 1. Our goal was to make most of the progress needed toward our Occupancy Permit--and we succeeded! Most volunteers worked to install doors, windows, interior siding, and decking; meanwhile specialists worked on electrical and plumbing systems. In addition to the photos below, you can see more from Jim Hazzard on MSN.

With the beginning of Autumn, some of the trees were starting to change color. The weather was wonderful, with sunny skies and above-average temperatures.

Tony Allen had worked with a contractor to finish deck framing the previous week. On Friday, the deck boards were laid out atop the frame. The deck provided a platform for the carpentry operation and giving easy access to windows and doorways. From left to right, Wendell Dore, Tom Farrar, Alan Turnbull, Chris Merrill, Johanna Goderre, and Darrin Decoster.

Kris Farrar, Judy Farrar, and Hope Reagan stain windows and trim in preparation for installation.

Alan Duda used a circular saw to precisely cut edges of the window frames.

With Alan's sawdust in the air, Johanna Goderre follows to stain the newly-cut surfaces to protect them from the elements. To ensure the cabin has a long life, every cut surface is being stained, including less-obvious places such as the end grains of siding and the inside of window frames.

Timmy Beuchel and his dad Jim help drill holes for copper pipes through bathroom wall studs.

Ralph Jones leads the plumbing installation.

Jim Hazzard and JD Foster finish installing the prototype window.

Tom Farrar, Darrin Decoster, Alan Turnbull, Fred Farrar, Mac Page, and JD Foster all hard at work.

Monty Robinson stains the under-side of the eaves.

Heather and Hope Reagan also stained the eaves.

Chris Merrill measures the precise taper of the roof to install siding between the middle and down-river rooms.

Judy Farrar cleans the fireplace in preparation for the stonemason's return to finish laying new rocks on the surface on which fires will burn.

Fre Fred Farrar, Walter Basnight, JD Foster, Mac Page, Chris Merrill, and John Checklick.

Chip Basnight is installing the electrical system; here he's in front of the circuit panel on the down-river side of the cabin.

Three Farrar sisters: Judy and Chris install hardware onto the windows as Robin looks on.

Steve Roberts and Mac Page stain and cut the window frames.

Camp Chef Joshua Engel prepared meals Friday and Saturday. Here he cooks hamburgers, eggplant, and veggie burgers for Saturday lunch.

Josh served Saturday dinner in Cabin 2, with salad, sausage and lentil stew, butternut squash gratin, bourbon yams, green beans, and French silk pie.

During the weekend, 11 of the total of 23 windows were installed, including all of the windows on the front of the cabin facing the river. The three remaining openings are for fold-down vents like those in cabins 2 and 3 to provide lots of ventillation in warm weather.

September 15-16, 2007: September Siding and Plumbing

Eighteen volunteers arrived for a gorgeous Saturday and Sunday in the mountains to finish installing the external siding and work on plumbing.

The first priority for the weekend was finishing installation of all the exterior siding--which we accomplished! In August, we focused on the rectangular boards that cover most of the cabin. This time, Chris Merrill and JD Foster install the eave siding, where every board must be custom-cut to fit the upper walls atop long-ladders.

Hunter and Chris Merrill measure and cut boards with the precise length and angle to match the slope of the roof.

Meanwhile, Ralph Jones worked under the cabin on the plumbing. Cast-iron pipe is used for wastewater pipes for a long, low-maintenance lifespan.

The siding at the front of the cabin is also largely complete as well. Since the August siding weekend, Tony Allen had applied the first coat of stain to most of the cabin, giving it the familiar dark brown color and protecting the wood. This photo also shows the roofing completed by Jolly Construction, thanks to a member's special donation of $1,153 to allow us to contract the roofing work to professionals for speedy completion, freeing up volunteers to work on other projects.

Architect Robin Farrar, Maintenance Coordinator Terry Franz, President Tom Jones, Phoenix Fund Chair Roy Woodruff, and Cabin 1 Rebuilding Chair Dave Heiby discuss design details and project planning.

On Sunday, once most volunteers had left, Wallace Panton stained the newly-installed siding. That's Ralph Jones inside the cabin working on bathroom plumbing.

While we accomplished a great deal of work on the siding and plumbing, we had hoped to work on flooring as well. Unfortunately, we did not have enough people to begin the flooring work, and had to postpone that for another time. Please volunteer at camp to help us finish Cabin 1!

Saturday, August 11, 2007: Siding Saturday

Twenty-three volunteers came to camp on an unseasonably delightful August day with the goal of installing as much of the exterior siding as possible. We were in such awe of the construction that we neglected to take any photos of Daill Day Hyde, who prepared the meals for the hungry crew of volunteers. Most volunteers were members, but several non-members contributed mightily, including JD Foster, Darrin Decoster and his son Steven. These photos were taken by Johanna Goderre and Tom Jones.

At the beginning of the day, 2,400 feet of siding from Madison Wood Preservers lay in a pile, and the cabin walls were open. To the right, Matthew Farrar and his father Fred set up the saw.

George Jones, with red shirt, holds the third siding board that was installed. The back of the upriver bathroom was the first wall constructed.

Walter Basnight has done carpentry at almost every work weekend for many years. This was the the largest carpentry project in the history of the co-op, and he used a variety of saws to create countless pieces of trim, cornerboards, and other items needed throughout the siding.

With the first wall complete up to the rafters, the second wall was under construction. From left to right, Wendell Dore, Darrin Decoster, Mac Page, JD Foster, and Suzy Littell.

Soon siding spread around the up-river side of the cabin and to the front. The deck will be built where the ladder is in this photo.

Inside, the rooms are taking shape. The new cabin 1 completely encircles the original stone fireplace and chimney built by the US Marines. The kitchen will be on the left side of the photo, behind the chimney. The sitting room will be in front of the fireplace, a larger version of the original Cabin 1B room. The front of the cabin faces the river to the right.

The first siding boards were installed on the down-river front of the cabin. From top to bottom, Mac Page, JD Foster, George Jones, Earl Woodruff, and Johanna Goderre.

JD's dog Satchel kept a friendly eye on the volunteers, and stayed hydrated as well. The humans kept hydrated from drinks donated by Walter Basnight and Suzy Littell.

One of four father-son volunteer teams, Tristan Jones worked a nail gun while his father George Jones placed the siding.  A 3-foot level (shorter than this one) went missing--if you left camp with one more level than you arrived with, please email Tom Jones to get it back to George.

Mac Page, Roy and Earl Woodruff took a break to look at the cabin's construction. Jolly Construction is nearly finished with the roof, but there is still a "skylight" where it is not yet complete, shining down onto the rafters. Earl recently returned from several months of trekking through Cambodia, Laos, and Thailand.

Jim Hazzard prepares to install the smallest segments of siding--on the front of the cabin between the adjacent doors of the two up-river rooms. While the biggest difficulty with long pieces was warping, the problem with small pieces is that they tend to split when nailed.

Dick Littell removes a screen that needs repositioning.

Wendell Dore trims the siding from the window sill.

The front of the cabin starts to take shape. Just like the original Cabin 1, there are three rooms, each with a separate entrance. Between the doors, a line of windows and vent flaps (like the original cabin's fold-down panels) will provide ventilation.

Mac Page and Tristan Jones work atop ladders on the down-river side of the cabin.

The edges of each piece of siding were stained with a roller before installation, to protect the end grain.

Siding wraps its way around most of the cabin as work begins on the window-level boards which are shorter and faster to install.

Tristan Jones and Mac Page climb ladders while George Jones and Wendell Dore work from the inside to install one of the long pieces of siding spanning an entire wall.

Roy Woodruff, Tony Allen, and Mac Page were among those working out the system to precisely measure and cut each piece of siding to ensure a perfect fit. Roy and Tony are wearing t-shirts from past Work Weekends.

Hope Reagan stains the end-grain of two pieces of siding, at the same time as Fred Farrar measures in preparation for cutting the precise length needed.

Darrin Decoster monitoring the nailing of the last piece of siding on this wall; with the studs no longer visible, getting the nails in the right place requires more precision.

George and Tristan Jones work in the kitchen.

One of the defining architectural elements of all the Rapidan cabins is the pine German lap siding. The siding on the new cabin will be stained to match the other cabins. Fred Farrar and Walter Basnight take a break while no sawing was needed.

Matthew Farrar and his aunt Robin Farrar at the site of the kitchen. Robin is camp architect and created the cabin design.

A blanket of fresh sawdust remained from the day's operation.

At the end of the day, Steven Decoster pulls a Vitamin Water out of the cooler while the cabin shows a dramatic change from the morning.

Sunday, August 3, 2007: Roof Progressing

Tom Jones and Robin Farrar met with Mike Jolly to certify construction for July. Mike Jolly's team has nearly completed the framing, except for the roof. We members will soon be taking over to finish Phase II, Phase III, and Phase IV.

Sunday, July 29, 2007: Wall Framing Complete

Jolly Construction is mostly complete with Phase I--the foundation work and rough framing. Camp president Tom Jones was on site July 29 and took these photos. The quality of work from Jolly Construction is outstanding.

The view from Cabin 2 shows the Cabin 1 framework under construction around the original stone chimney.

From the up-river side, the chimney is clearly visible against the sky. The room closest to the camera is the up-river bathroom.

The front of the cabin from the up-river side. The deck will be built on the right side of the photo.

The original Cabin 1 was built on a hill, and the down-river side has the highest elevation off the ground of any cabin--about six feet. Modern building codes require a much stronger foundation than any of the original cabins.

Wednesday, July 7, 2007: Foundation

The foundation has been poured! Dramatically more substantial than any of the other cabins’ foundations, the concrete piers required a great deal of careful work from Jolly Construction. Camp Architect Robin Farrar visited camp to meet Mike Jolly and review progress on the foundation, piers, and floor framing. She took these photos.

For questions about Rapidan Camps, please contact the President and Registrar via email.